Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day One

I spent yesterday trying to think of what essential pieces a nursing mom must have to create some semblance of a fashionable wardrobe.  If you're anything like me, you've been wearing yoga pants since the day your baby was born.  You may or may not be like me and lost all the baby weight and then some without even trying (don't hate me yet, did you read my first post and how it took 2 years to lose all the weight from my first baby?)!  But now that we've hit 5 weeks, I find myself in public more than ever, and yoga pants just aren't cutting it.

So I spent all day yesterday perusing multiple malls for essentials.  My goal: skinny jeans in my new post-partum size, a nice-looking cardigan, a nursing bra with underwire and whatever other nice nursing-friendly tops I could find.  The take?  Jeans - check.  Cardigan - check (although a little expensive for what I've been spending, I wore today and it is comfy and good quality).  Others - 2 colorful necklaces, 1 chunky bracelet, a black pencil skirt and a pair of earrings.  No go on the bra (they had a nice selection at Target, but not even close to my full-of-milk cup size).  These are the things I feel will get me through this transition period until I get back to my old clothes.  What, you say?  You can't fit into your old clothes despite being lighter than pre-pregnancy?  That's right, gained all the weight in my thighs, and my hips apparently spread to the ends of the earth!  :)

As part of my post-baby transformation, I've begun Power 90, a Beachbody program, and I've started to get my life together in the form of preparation and accountability.  Part of this is getting together everything I need for the next day ahead of time (usually the night before).  So I laid out everything I wanted to wear and managed to leave like this:



Cardigan, Nursing Tank, Earrings - Old Navy, Jeans - American Eagle, Flats - BCBG, Bracelet - New York & Co

Of course, I spent the day looking like this:

And even worse, most of the time I had my Moby wrap with baby inside, to make me look even more frazzled!

My intention was to have time to do my make-up, hair and experiment with tucking my tank in, leaving it out, putting a skinny belt around my waist or a wide belt in belt loops on jeans.  I also wanted to wear my oh-so-cute Steve Madden nude pumps, but in my rush out the door, ALL of the above was forgotten.... oops.  Oh well - Baby Olivia had everything she needed and my big girl Isabel was fed and ready for preschool.  Priorities people!

Oh - before I leave, I wanted to point out a few things.  1 - I apologize for the droopy uniboob the nursing top creates.  I'm placing my faith in Zappo's to get my new nursing bras in asap.  Unless you are tiny in the chest area, I suggest getting at least one underwire nursing bra, it helps the silhouette.  2 - Can you even see the bracelet I'm wearing?  It's stretchy, which I love because I have small wrists and I can't stand the sliding of a bangle.  It also doubles as a marker for which breast is next for the baby, I just switch it every feeding to remind myself.  Looks a little better than the hair tie I've been using, eh?  Alright - baby's crying - got to go!  See you tomorrow when I discuss the rest of my "essentials".

No comments:

Post a Comment